Match funds stimulate establishment of nine centennial term chairs
UCLA College donors gave gifts to establish nine endowed centennial term chairs in the final year of the Centennial Campaign, taking advantage of the opportunity to enhance the impact of their philanthropy through a $5-million dollar match fund.
The Centennial Term Chair Match Fund was set up by Dean of Physical Sciences Miguel García-Garibay using proceeds of UCLA’s sale of royalty interest in the prostate cancer drug Xtandi, which was developed by chemists in the UCLA College’s physical sciences division. The fund was intended to bolster efforts to hire and retain early-career faculty through the establishment of faculty term chairs. Centennial chair holders also will form a distinct cohort that brings College faculty together and advises the College deans on various initiatives.
Senior Dean of UCLA College David Schaberg said, “By ‘sharing the wealth’ through the match fund, Dean García-Garibay found an innovative way to spur investment in faculty throughout the College and engage donors who share our commitment to faculty excellence.”
Prestigious endowed chairs play a key role in recruiting and retaining premier faculty whose interdisciplinary research, commitment to mentoring students, and talent for teaching are essential to the university’s vitality and impact. UCLA vies with other top-tier universities, including many with much larger endowments, for the best faculty. Along with the prestige and recognition that come with an endowed chair, chair holders receive funds for research costs as well to support graduate students who teach and mentor undergraduates. Term chairs, while renewable, generally are awarded every five years to ensure representation of a cross-section of academic fields.
Below are the nine centennial term chairs established or committed:
Division of Humanities
– Theresa McShane Biggs and Henry P. Biggs Centennial Term Chair in Linguistics
– George P. Kolovos Family Centennial Term Chair in Hellenic Studies
Division of Life Sciences
– George and Nouhad Ayoub Centennial Chair in Life Sciences Innovation
– Kevin Love Fund Centennial Chair in Psychology*
Division of Physical Sciences
– Randy Schekman and Sabeeha Merchant Centennial Term Chair
– The Andrea M. Ghez Centennial Term Chair in Astronomy and Astrophysics (gifts from Astrid and Howard Preston, Lauren Leichtman and Arthur Levine, and the Heising-Simons Foundation)
Division of Social Sciences
– Benjamin Graham Centennial Endowed Chair in Value Investing (gift from the Havner Family Foundation)
– Mark Itkin Centennial Chair in Communication honoring Andrea L. Rich* (gift from Mark Allen Itkin)
Division of Undergraduate Education
– Centennial Director for Philanthropy Education (gift from Madeline and Mark Asofsky)
*Pending approval by UCOP
This article was written by Margaret MacDonald.