As Dean of the College’s Division of Social Sciences, I welcome proposals for faculty support for 2018-19. Requests should be submitted via email to Amanda McAlpin (firstname.lastname@example.org), with information itemized below. Grants will be made on a rolling basis during the academic year (see below).
We expect to receive more requests than we can fund. Priority will be given to proposals that contain one or more of the following criteria:
- Research funding requests to support junior faculty.
- Symposia funding for events on the UCLA campus that involve faculty from multiple units within the Division of Social Sciences or across units within the College of Letters & Science.
- Funding requests that benefit the Division’s graduate or undergraduate students in a meaningful and innovative way.
- Co-sponsorship requests for projects in which the organizers already have sought and received financial co-sponsorships from other campus units.
The most attractive proposals will combine several of the above elements.
Given the limited availability of funds, the majority of awards will be given out in the range of $500 to $1,500.
Academic Senate members who hold an active appointment in the Division of Social Sciences.
For Funding Decisions by January 9, 2017, Requests are due by December 16, 2016
For Funding Decisions by April 3, 2017, Requests are due by March 13, 2017
Application Materials should include:
- Name(s) and rank(s) of submitting faculty.
- Department/Unit of submitting faculty.
- One primary contact (Email and Phone).
- Name and contact information of the fund manager who will be managing the funds if awarded.
- Title and description of the project (no more than 1,000 words). Please be sure to address the four criteria listed above.
- Specify the amount requested within the overall budget plan. Please list other funding you have sought or secured for this project and amounts.
- If the project is eligible for university or departmental resources (Senate research grants, Faculty Travel Awards, Faculty Development Awards, departmental resources for faculty, etc…), a statement to confirm that funding was sought and the result.
Darnell M. Hunt
Dean, Division of Social Sciences